YouTube Cuts Ties With Vlogger Logan Paul After Suicide Video Controversy
It's official! YouTube is cutting ties with Logan Paul. The video sharing platform has been pressing pause on current projects they have with Logan, who offended a number of users after the 22-year-old vlogger shared a controversial video of an apparent suicide victim in Japan’s Aokigahara Forest, where many people take their lives every year.
In a statement on Wednesday, January 10, a spokesperson for YouTube told The Hollywood Reporter,
In light of recent events, we have decided to remove Logan Paul’s channels from Google Preferred. Additionally, we will not feature Logan in Season 4 of ‘Foursome’ and his new originals are on hold.
The news comes a day after YouTube released an open letter condemning the internet celebrity’s video.
Many of you have been frustrated with our lack of communication recently. You’re right to be. You deserve to know what’s going on. Like many others, we were upset by the video that was shared last week. Suicide is not a joke, nor should it ever be a driving force for views.
The Weird Loners actor’s father, Greg Paul, issued a statement on Instagram on Tuesday explaining Logan will return soon to vlogging.
As previously reported, on January 2, Logan issued a second apology after his video, posted one day earlier, received a wave of backlash on social media.
The former Vine star said in an emotional video clip,
I’ve made a severe and continuous lapse in my judgment and I don’t expect to be forgiven. I’m simply here to apologize. So what we came across that day in the woods was obviously unplanned and the reactions you saw on tape were raw, they were unfiltered. None of us knew how to react or how to feel.